homestead - Re: [Homestead] fry bread! (and adding Sepp Holzer)

  • From: Rebecca in the Great Northwest <rebas_own AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] fry bread! (and adding Sepp Holzer)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2009 09:24:56 -0800

popping in for a moment, loving the fry bread thread. Brings back fond
memories of high school, and the Yakama kids making up fry bread at lunch
time and also at various native dance contests and serving it with their
moms' homemade huckleberry jam (berries picked from the flanks of Mt Adams).
Mmmmmm..... They raised a LOT of money for their club doing that.

I used to make fry bread for my girls on cold winter mornings. Found a great
website a few years ago regarding fry bread and other things native--check
out the links here:

http://www.frybreadlove.org/book.htm

onto another subject, anybody here use Sepp Holzer's method of gardening? I
heard a snippet of a radio interview last week, then went and looked up some
pics of his 30-year old farm. YOW. I was so impressed I tracked down an
English translation of his book 'The Rebel Farmer' and ordered it, but it's
got to come over the Big Pond so it's going to take awhile. Seems part of
the key to his success is to create a bunch of microclimates using "craters"
and "huegelbeds", which allows him to grow all sorts of things that normally
wouldn't make it in his nearly mile-high area of the Alps. He also takes
into account the depth of root system for each type of plant he grows, and
uses that to his advantage too.

if you want to check out what he's done, here are two URLs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw7mQZHfFVE

Holzer's site (a mix of German and English):
http://www.krameterhof.at/en/index.php?id=rueckblick

well, off to garden group later today. A group of small farmers here in town
are putting together a community garden for those who don't have dirt of
their own. Not much of a call in our town for such a thing yet, but we
expect by summer there will be a big interest in growing your own in whatever
space you've got access to. From what I hear from the group organizers, most
of the towns in the county have people in them trying to do the same thing,
and the county itself started a monthly class on teaching people to grow
their own groceries, with the hope that class participants will go back and
spread the information in their own communities. Some nurseries in the area
are also hosting "growing groceries" classes. If anyone here is interested
in this sort of class/seminar as a business model, the county charges $35 for
a 4 hour class, with the fee for each future class waived if the participant
shows that the information learned is being passed on. Not sure how much the
nurseries are charging for their seminars.

back into lurk mode!

-Rebecca in western Washington state (Snohomish county)

Windows Liveā„¢: Life without walls.