homestead - [Homestead] Spring planting

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Spring planting
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2009 03:54:13 -0800 (PST)

I bought 30 drought resistant tomato plants last week. Yesterday I planted
some of them in different low lying areas (you do that in the desert).

My black friend Robert (the one I've talked about who taught me to take a
'switch' to okra plants) is supposed to come over this am with his big
rototiller to help me get my several garden beds ready for the majority of
the planting -- but it is raining this am. He might wait.

I planted some various seeds in my greens beds the last few days since (VA)
Rob said it was an okay idea. One of my garden patches from the fall is
still alive, I'm still picking a few tomatoes. I pruned back all of the
plants and will let them live. The okra plants seem to be putting on new
ittle fruit though the palnts have no leaves or flowers?

We have been eating lots of salad greens and dinner greens from the garden
and , so far, the greens plants seem to be putting on new, fresh leaves after
the cutting -- the brocooli plants are putting on new broccoli fruit , too.
I don't know how long this will last -- we should see our first 90+ degree
day within a week or two.

Anyway, no big gardens or goats or pigs or llamas, but I'm doing something;
and what I am doing does taste good. :-)