homestead - Re: [Homestead] Broccoli varieties

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Broccoli varieties
  • Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 14:39:24 -0500

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
Time in the steamer?

With the steamer going full till and the broccoli at room temp (just harvested usually), put the basket in the steamer and then abut 20 to 30 seconds. Usually it is then put into ice water to stop the cooking and hence to the freezer for the first freeze.

That is usually all I have ever done, so I appreciate the additional
glazing instructions.

About how many 'dips' does it take?

Three usually.

That is a lot of time...I suppose it is worth it?

Smaller bags perhaps but not less glazing. The glaze keeps oxygen out and that would be the same problem in a pint bag or 5 gallon bag.
What we have done in the past is to put broccoli in the small bags and fill them with the very dilute salt water and freeze the whole thing. The condition of the broccoli remains excellent but it takes much longer to thaw out and is not nearly so convenient.

I have done that, and it does work well.

This method or a variation of it is used for a lot of things: cauliflower and sprouts to be sure, but also peach, pear, and apple slices.
Peas are fozen loose like this with only
the water that clings to them when they are rinsed and some shell beans likewise.

We dehydrate green beans, can some, and salt some. But a few are cooked until done and then frozen like this. Snow pes for stir fries
are froze in blocks of ice.

Fish is glazed this way too. Other meats are coated with olive oil for the same purpose. This is especially effective for goat and rabbit.

I freeze blueberries like this, but had never thought of doing it with
peas..I have never grown enough English peas to freeze actually. I
freeze snow peas in a block of salt water in small bags, just enough for
a good stir fry meal.
I was always taught that fish should be frozen in a block of ice so that
is what I've always done as well. We save gallon milk jugs for small
fish and put the larger ones in plastic bags....just like fresh when thawed.
Ok, so explain to me about the olive oil and the meat..are you using the
oil to avoid freezer burn or are you adding seasonings or what? I have
made a marinade using oil and soy and such and then frozen the meat in
the marinade..is that what you are doing?

Change your homestead list member options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/erthnsky%40bellsouth.net
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead