homestead - Re: [Homestead] Planting trees

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Planting trees
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2009 00:44:53 -0500

Robert Walton wrote:
I'm planting some trees. I've got one small area that is a lane. It's
got some space on the side of the lane maybe 100' long. I plowed up 4" wide strips on either side of the lane (back aways from the lane) and planted pecan and black walnut seeds every 3 paces, to be thinned
later. That's assuming they sprout ok.

I'm not sure how pecans do with the juglones, but be mindful about where
those black walnuts go and what goes next to them. I'm sure you thought
about that.
It will be interesting to compare notes as I planted my black walnuts
seeds back on November 11, all along the property line near the fence.
I also planted some in a deep barrel, hoping to see some seedlings
emerge this Spring. Be sure and let me know when you see the trees and
how fast they grow.

I've got a couple areas in the big pasture that want to erode. I'm thinking about planting rows of trees in the bottom areas that water
runs toward to create a natural division and hold the soil. I want
to plant something otherwise useful. I'm thinking about black locust.
I don't have any locust on the place, but it grows nearby. It's supposed to be fast to grow. It is a great honey plant. Also rot resistant and good firewood. Once I get some going it can be propagated easily. I've read that it's invasive, but my goats would take care of any coming up in the pasture.

Anyone have any thoughts on black locust?

It sounds like it would be good for that use. I planted 3 thornless
honey locusts this past Fall. Like you, I am creating a woodlot in part
of my pasture. It will provide a buffer and some privacy from the road
and eventually become part of silviculture when I add animals back to
the pasture after the trees get some height on them.
So far, I just have the black walnut seeds and the 3 honey locusts,
which are planted on the border between the 'woodlot' and the pasture.
With the cold temps this winter, I am hoping that they will leaf out in
Spring. I hope they survived. I planted them on the border so that
livestock could take advantage of the pods they will produce..good
fodder. My woodlot will be a bit over an acre in size. I have ordered
50 Paulownia trees that should arrive in April to get the ball rolling.
They will provide firewood, cabinet wood, and hopefully some income
wood as they will regrow from the stump when you cut them...they grow 15
or more feet a year, so we will see results quickly. They are also
touted for use to prevent erosion.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/forestry/446-606/446-606.html
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/EmpressTree.htm
http://www.paulowniatrees.org/about.htm
http://www.worldpaulownia.com/html/ordering.html

The last company is where I ordered from. They are tissue cultured
trees(reminds me of Tvo, and in fact, Tvo recommended these trees so
this whole project would make him proud)

Eventually, in a year or so after we recover somewhat from the expense
of these trees, I hope to take James' advice and add in some white ash
trees as well as some cedars and other evergreens up on the front of the
pasture at the road.
I'm glad that you are planning a similar woodlot. I look forward to
comparing notes as the years go by.

Bev

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge