homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, non-pollinated

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tomatoes, non-pollinated
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:58:13 -0800

Gene, tomatoes generally have "perfect" flowers and self-pollinate before they open, why would you need to go around with your brush?

As to the parthenocarpic tomatoes, they are usually accidental and have fruit that is smaller than you would normally expect and have wrinkled skins. When you open them up they don't have seeds or gel in the normal seed cavities.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

Does anyone have experience with parthenocarpic tomatoes? Do they
really set fruit without pollination? I had never heard of them until
my brother found the subject in a sidebar in the Territorial Seed
catalog. Sounds like they would be great for hoophouse or greenhouse
plants. I have resorted to hand pollination using a lens brush that
has a suction cup as well as the fine bristles. That works well but is
tedious.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com