homestead - [Homestead] Tomatoes, non-pollinated

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Tomatoes, non-pollinated
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 19:44:23 -0700

Does anyone have experience with parthenocarpic tomatoes? Do they really set fruit without pollination? I had never heard of them until my brother found the subject in a sidebar in the Territorial Seed catalog. Sounds like they would be great for hoophouse or greenhouse plants. I have resorted to hand pollination using a lens brush that has a suction cup as well as the fine bristles. That works well but is tedious.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com