homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tillers...was Soil and fertility

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tillers...was Soil and fertility
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 09:56:37 -0800

Oh boy, I sure wouldn't just a front tine tiller on rocks. Nothing keeps them in the ground and you can't use your weight. We had a section next to our creek out in Windsor that was really rocky and the ex tried a front tine tiller on it. It knocked him around a bit which took some doing seeing as how he was an ex-football player and weight lifter! He gave up tillers completely for a couple of years and borrowed our neighbor's little tractor and gradually worked all the rocks of any size out of the soil and then went back to the back tine tiller.

I've owned and ruined several rear tine tillers. The guards they put on
the rear tine tillers trap rocks and it ends up destroying the tiller.
I realize that rear tine tillers are easier to walk through, but would a
front tine tiller be better in soil where rocks are present? Front tine
tillers don't have those guards and therefore rocks just get kicked out.
In a rocky environment, is there any preference?

Frank Fries wrote:

perpendicular to the direction I run the rows. In the spring, I rototilled
the charcoal in while working in some sheep manure and straw bedding.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge