homestead - Re: [Homestead] Tillers...was Soil and fertility

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Tillers...was Soil and fertility
  • Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 11:33:32 -0500

Both rear tine tillers we have had had counter-rotating tines and the rocks jamming in there repeatedly is rough on the bearings. Bearings break after a certain period of time--- no tiller. They seem to last about 2 years here, even though I remove the rocks as I find them.
Perhaps our rocks are larger?

Don Bowen wrote:
I realize that rear tine tillers are easier to walk through, but would a
front tine tiller be better in soil where rocks are present

Having used both in extremely rocky Spokane Valley soil I can say without
hesitation, front tine tillers are very difficult to use in very rocky
conditions. The tiller tends to bounce and the handles do a good job of
beating the operator.

Rear tines still bounce but not nearly as much and are much easier on the
operator. I never had one catch a rock in such a way as to destroy the
tiller.

Don Bowen KI6DIU