homestead - Re: [Homestead] Winter..

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: outwest4us AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Winter..
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:25:35 -0500

I think the official word is that our drought conditions are over or at least almost over. Area lakes are full for the first time in years, and as I have reported, even my creek ran for a few days this month-the first time in 4+years. It was colder than normal early, in Oct and Nov, then December was warm. We had a lot of rain in December, which for us caught us up and took out the hazard for fires, at least for now. That's a huge BONUS when you live in a frame house in the National
Forest<g>. The first part of this month was super cold, now it is super warm. It was 60 yesterday, 52 right now. It is predicted to be warm for the next month! which will mean that everything will break dormancy and then it will turn cold again and kill everything. I predict a no fruit year.
Our last frost date is usually about March 30 or so, but we had the "Storm of the Century" AKA the Blizzard pop through here in mid-March of 1993 dropping several feet of snow, so I think this year might be one of those 'late' winters.

outwest4us AT yahoo.com wrote:
We've not had a great winter so far either...not enough snow and even
a couple days of rain. We too are worried about fires....lake and
river levels too.

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge