homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 54, Issue 153

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 54, Issue 153
  • Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2009 23:14:58 -0500

I really don't even know where to start, Ivy. The things you ask for could fill a book. Maybe reading Bill Mollison's Permaculture books could give you an idea about layout and what should be where to maximize the land and minimize the work. Get a hold of Reader's Digest Back to Basics for a general guideline on raising various animals and how you can do various things. I think books might be the way to go here, glean what applies to your situation...Square foot gardening, How to Grow More Vegetables, etc. With the campgrounds, cottages, and zoo, well, I really can't say what to do.
Others have given you good information, too.

Ivy Bickl wrote:

What I was asking for was an outline on the setup of a homestead farm
from scratch for the needs of the animals. Tools, stockyards,
medicines to have on hand, maybe day to day chore lists for animal
husbandry. We have no barns yet, so that would need to be considered
also and I was wanting to know what to put in them , possible
floorplan ideas. We do have a greenhouse almost complete for the
herbs, and only 3 acres that is tillable for our v egetable gardens.
Our orchards and bees are to be in the 5 acres of woods mingling with
the native trees that are left after we thin them out. The livestock
will also be roaming there on a rotation basis.

Thanks,

Ivy Bickl~Founder

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge