homestead - Re: [Homestead] might be interested a bit more in the specifics of your experience in farming, husbandry, homesteading, etc.

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] might be interested a bit more in the specifics of your experience in farming, husbandry, homesteading, etc.
  • Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 15:34:59 -0500

Where are you located? Mounds,OK
> Do you have land? Almost 8 acres with one house
What growing zone? 6-7
What is the soil like? rich and rocky
Water? A small creek but a 1/2 acre pond will be put in
> You say say "from scratch" do you have any buildings? one unfinished house
> Are you going to grow spices? teas, culinary herbs, smokable herbs,
> medicinal herbs
> Are you going to have zoning issues with alternative building? No building
> codes other than fire safety inspection
> Water supply and sewage. Onsite already
Will local authorities require anything special for the amount of
people you may have on site? still under research
> Schooling for the children? to be determined by parent.
We will provide transportation to school for them if needed,
or the parent can choose to let them attend our homeschooling that is offered.

I think that yours is a great idea. I'd look for two people to partner
with. First someone that has homesteading experience. Well rounded
experience with growing things locally and experienced with animals
and sustainable living. The other person would be someone withing a
100 mile radius or so that is working in or with shelters for abused
women. Your vision and the experience that two people with the above
skill sets would impress potential board members.

Rob - Va