homestead - [Homestead] Goat

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Goat
  • Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:27:46 -0500

Well, the goat is butchered. I wanted to do two, but things happened.

I went out this morning to gather the goat and as I was getting a hold
on him, I lifted my leg to straddle his neck. He bolted, I fell right
on my face. The ground is frozen hard. I got a cut right over my
eyebrow and I knew it really needed stitches.

At the emergency room, the staff were pretty tickled over my story,
the nurses turned their noses up at eating goat. Doc however was
really interested and he's on duty this weekend, so I'm going to take
a cut of goat meat over to him then. He's interested in grass fed and
healthy grown food. Maybe I'll take him a dozen eggs, too.

Anyway, got home butchered the goat. It was freezing here, so the
carcass cooled fast. I went ahead and skinned it. I wrapped it in some
plastic bags.

There was an old 36 foot trailer left on my property and I drug it out
back last year. I've got it full of hay. I put a tarp down on some
hay, laid the carcass on the tarp, wrapped it up and laid more hay on
top. Closed off the doors so it's pretty animal proof.

I'll check it tomorrow, but probably just leave it there until
Saturday and then cut it up. It's not going to be above freezing here
until Sunday. If it's too icy in the morning, I'll bring it into the
room in house that I don't heat.

What a homestead day!

Rob - Va