homestead - Re: [Homestead] Determination

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Determination
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 15:08:32 EST

> >I've long thought that Scott Nearing would have lived longer if he had
> done less grunt work and had more fun. By Helen's direct declarations
> to an editor friend of mine, Scott was a sourpuss.

I have about twenty books written by Scott Nearing and five about him (or
Helen), I'd have a tendency to agree. I think two other things lead to his
early
demise (at the age of 100): He was in the habit of not drinking water under
the misguided impression that too much water washed out the body's minerals.
He only took what water he got from a morning cup of mint or molasses tea and
what was in his soup. Second, he ate way too little fat. He had a stroke at
99 when he was otherwise quite healthy and such brain anomolies are
associated
with poor management of fat.

Helen promoted the idea that she pretty much built the Maine house by herself
and Scott intimated that he dug the pond single handedly. Both are myths.
During their time in Maine they played host to a score or more of people
daily
and a great deal of the hard work was done by visitors who are never
mentioned
in the writings.

James