homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ticks and bugs and mosquitos -- attire

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ticks and bugs and mosquitos -- attire
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:35:41 -0800

We have almost completely de-mosquitoed our place by simply planting marigolds in abundance and putting up lots of hummingbird feeders. We also have lots of bats. The first year we moved here you couldn't go outside after about 3 p.m. unless you wanted to be a major blood donor! Now you can go out, enjoy a bbq or do some evening gardening with no problems at all.

Wiping your clothes down with fabric softener sheets helps. Neither the ticks nor the mosquitoes like the stuff.

The ticks don't seem interested in humans around here and they rarely bother the dogs if we use herb collars.

We don't have chiggers and no-see-ums and black flies, There were all on the list of things we choose not to live with and why we marked a lot of places off possibles to buy.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

I haven't an idea just how effective these items are except for the reviews I have read, which were positive. There are more than these two brands. Take from it what you will