homestead - [Homestead] popcorn

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] popcorn
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 23:27:48 -0500

I found an old jar of popcorn in the back corner of a cabinet shelf. It had been long forgotten...very forgotten. I grew the popcorn in the summer of 1999, so it is 9.5 years old. It was in a glass jar, and the lid was tight, so I was hopeful that perhaps it had retained enough moisture to pop. We pulled out the pan and the oil, the old fashioned way to pop corn, and would you believe it, almost 100% of the kernels popped. Now, the flakes weren't large like commercial popcorn, but they popped. I added about half a teaspoon of water to the jar and we will pop some more tomorrow to see if the flakes get larger. I just couldn't believe that it popped after all this time. I can't even remember the variety, for sure, but I think it was Tom Thumb. I'm just wondering if the kernels would still grow corn...I'm going to sprout a few and see. I was really amazed though, and had to share.
--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."

  • [Homestead] popcorn, EarthNSky, 01/09/2009