homestead - [Homestead] Raised garden bed design

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Raised garden bed design
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 11:50:06 -0700

On Jan 7, 2009, at 11:32 AM, EarthNSky wrote:

That is exactly what I did with the exception that I put wire and old
fencing in the bottom to thwart moles and voles...then added the rocks,
etc.

This bed is closest to a huge black walnut that is too valuable for shade to consider cutting it down. There are lots of juglone-emitting roots. So I poured a solid concrete bottom, then formed drainage holes at the bottom of the downhill ferro wall panels as I made them.

It is designed to be near-impregnable to juglone roots, moles, voles, armadillos, groundhogs, snakes, squirrels, rabbits, turtles-- everything that does not fly.

I expect to learn how high a coon can or can't jump when it smells ripe strawberries.