homestead - Re: [Homestead] Running water that cleanses the soul

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Running water that cleanses the soul
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 17:33:35 -0800 (PST)

--- On Wed, 1/7/09, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net> wrote:

> In the deep area near the culvert, water will remain for
> almost a week
> after the creek stops running. I think the underground
> stream is very
> close to the surface there. It was in that area that I
> found a huge
> crayfish once. It is odd to find such a thing in a creek
> that has been
> dry for over a year, UNLESS it came up from underground.
> Rock Creek,
> AKA Hidden Creek is 1000 feet distant on the other side of
> the road. My
> creek runs into it, but at the time I found the crawdad,
> even Rock Creek
> had been dry for a year...so where the heck did that little
> fellow come
> from if not an underground stream?

This wouldn't be your situation of course, but in the desert there are
species of amphibians that might lie dormant(?) for several years until a big
enough rain creates a pond which will last for a few weeks. In those few
weeks the animals grow to adulthood breed and propigate the next generation
before the temporary pond dries up.
Van Dell