homestead - [Homestead] Pine beetles - was running water

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Pine beetles - was running water
  • Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 07:20:46 -0500

Bev,

I have a lot of pines that are dying from the beetles also. I always
favor hardwoods over pines. Once I see a tree on the decline (at least
in an area I'm working in), I try to cut it down and either use it or
leave it to rot and feed the other trees growing up around it. I
figure that at least that way I can control where it falls and what's
left to grow up where it stood.

I'm curious if you do anything with those pines you have with beetles.
When I saw the pictures on your web site, I wondered about that. I
figure that letting nature take its course is the way to go, but since
I'd like to increase the amount of hardwoods in some areas, I try to
intervene just a little.

Rob - Va