homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pine beetles - was running water

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pine beetles - was running water
  • Date: Wed, 07 Jan 2009 11:18:02 -0500

No, I don't do anything. I'm not sure there is anything that can be
done. I'm not about to spray or use pesticides even if would help.
Most are next to inaccessible and on a steep slope-it'd would do more
damage to the land to harvest them than to leave them.
It is hard when you see the devastation, but I remind myself that only
100 years ago people were watching the chestnuts die... I don't know
where the beetle came from, from I liken it to a blight. How it will
affect the ecosystem, I don't know.

Robert Walton wrote:
Bev,

I have a lot of pines that are dying from the beetles also. I always favor hardwoods over pines. Once I see a tree on the decline (at
least in an area I'm working in), I try to cut it down and either use
it or leave it to rot and feed the other trees growing up around it.
I figure that at least that way I can control where it falls and
what's left to grow up where it stood.

I'm curious if you do anything with those pines you have with
beetles. When I saw the pictures on your web site, I wondered about
that. I figure that letting nature take its course is the way to go,
but since I'd like to increase the amount of hardwoods in some areas,
I try to intervene just a little.

Rob - Va

On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:57 PM, EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>