homestead - Re: [Homestead] Why I am always so jealous of the rich

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Why I am always so jealous of the rich
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2009 12:28:59 -0800 (PST)

Men commit suicide at ratios of 3 or 4 to one vs.women. Most male suicides
are young men -- under 25; or old men -- over 65. Rural young men commit
suicide at a much higher rate than urban young men. Except for unemployemnt
among young men, none of this has anything to do with someone's financial
assets.

People rich and poor kill themselves, sometimes because of finacial reasons,
ceratinly not because 'they had too much'. Usually because they were in such
pain, physiological or psychological, that it seemed the best option at the
time. You are trying to make the point that if everyone would become
poverty-stricken, that everyone would be happier; I assure you that you are
wrong.

The kind of poverty that will result from the unscrpulous misdeeds of cabals
of bankers, politicians and other moneychangers is a kind of economic
violence perpetrated against working people.

Walk up to a working man with children who has lost his job or is losing
his house, tell him your theory that he and his family will be happier poor
-- then you might see a dentist......

Poverty is never good, intentional poverty might be the exception, though I
don't consider that to be true poverty. A priest commits himself to a life
of intentional poverty for unwordly rewards; maybe some homesteaders do the
same. Most, I guarentee would like some extra money , whether in USD or
gold, or platinum, or a brokerage account. It is easy to give away the
extra, if that is what makes a person happy. It isn't always easy to build
the nest egg a person might need in an emergency or a chance at a once-in -a
lifetime investment. Those kind of investments 'and' true emergencies always
happen more often in bad times.

You keep preaching the virtue of poverty. But, I will continue to view it
as economic violence, when it is perpetrated upon one man by anotyher man,
for the sole purpose of the perpetrator advancing by