homestead - Re: [Homestead] Running water that cleanses the soul

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Running water that cleanses the soul
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 13:41:05 -0500

bobf wrote:
From what souce does the creek originate. Is it from an acquifer that has been re-charged from rain, or is it , at least partial, snow melt?

Not snow melt, for sure!

Up at the top of the ridge, 3/4 of a mile away as the crow flies, is an
artesian well/spring at an old homestead. I learned recently that this
old homestead was bulldozed by the park service because someone almost
fell into the well. I haven't been up there in the past 4 years, but
that well/spring was pretty amazing. It trickles water all year long,
and when it rains, it seriously flows and becomes the source for not
only my 'dry creek' for also for two others, as well as my neighbor's
pond. From my observations in the past, I would see my creek run when
we got about 3 inches of rain, but I think the water tables have fallen
overall so that now the requirement is closer to 4 inches. Of course,
all the springs in the area become active when it rains hard and the
water tables rise, and there is a lot of underground water and caves
that have to fill before any surface water runs.
When I had goats, the goat yard always got mushy when it rained hard.
Today, I see why. While I was on the other side of the creek, I glanced
back over towards the goat yard and saw water coming out of the mud of
the creekbank at two places. This spot was about a foot below ground
level. Now, I see that there must be a spring in the goat yard... I
will try to get some pictures of that, too.
Right now, it is pouring. If I had goats or sheep right now, this is
when they would be dropping kids/lambs. You know they always pick the
nastiest weather.

Bev

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."