homestead - [Homestead] Running water that cleanses the soul

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Running water that cleanses the soul
  • Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 12:50:28 -0500

For the first time in 4 years, the creek is running! We've had a lot of rain over the last few weeks, and my new rain gauge reads 1.97" in the last 24 hours. They say it used to be a year round stream 90 years ago, and was running most of the time even up until the 1960's. Ten years ago, it would run 5 or 6 times a year, usually after a good rain, and the last time it ran was around the time the kid left for boot camp.
The creek is prettier when it runs in the Spring or Summer, but this is great, too! I went out and cleared some of the debris to make sure there would be no log jam flooding, and from the looks of the radar, I did that just in time. It seems another heavy patch of rain is about to start, so I won't be surprised if we go over 4" for today.
I'll try to put some pictures up later.

Bev, enjoying the misty mountain and a raging rocky creek.

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."