homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beetles was: more pictures

  • From: "Sage Austin | Eureka! Design" <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: bobford79 AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beetles was: more pictures
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 09:08:02 -0600

Wow, that's an interesting "use" of flesh eating beetles. I don't know that much about beetles, but apparently there are so many that once, when E.O. Wilson was asked what he knew about God, he said "He was inordinately fond of beetles" because they comprise something like 90 percent of all species on Earth.

We have dung beetles here, and I love them. In good years they are able to keep my backyard free of dog poop. I love their antics, hand standing and rolling dungballs across our rugged terrain with their hind legs, usually as partners. I video taped this once, should post to my blog for those who are unfamiliar with them.

I also photographed the carcass of a beetle I found in a town west of me that was huge, palm sized, the biggest bug I'd ever seen. I would have taken it with me, but I was on a business trip and the woman driving would have had a fit if I'd picked that thing up. If there is an entomologist among us maybe I can find that pic for identification.

--Sage

bobf wrote:
When the group of beetles had eaten their fill, did they go over to the
corner for a nap ;-) ?