homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beetles was: more pictures

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beetles was: more pictures
  • Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2009 16:40:23 +0000

Sage, that would make a great video for your blog! I've never seen a dung
beetle, don't know if we have them here. My fav beetle from childhood
(s.louisiana) was something we called a cop-cop beetle. If you pressed on
them at the juncture between throax and abdomen, they'd pop! into the air.
Then they could crawl away. It looked like they had huge eyes painted on
them, but it was just a decoy. I haven't seen any of those in a long time,
even out here where there is plenty old trees and decaying wood for them to
eat. Maybe they don't live this far from the coast.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)