homestead - [Homestead] Simple Solar water distillation

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Simple Solar water distillation
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 16:06:49 -0800 (PST)

I have seen plans for solar stills to distill surface water. I have not
before seen this simple method. It is being used in third world countries to
provide people with safe drinking water. Maybe in an em,ergency it might help
someone on a homestead or farm for a short period of time if their pump went
down .................

Solar Water Disinfection - The method

The Solar Water Disinfection (SODIS) process is a simple technology used to
improve the microbiological quality of drinking water. SODIS uses solar
radiation to destroy pathogenic microorganisms which cause water borne
diseases.

SODIS is ideal to treat small quantities of water. Contaminated water is
filled into transparent plastic bottles and exposed to full sunlight for six
hours.

Sunlight is treating the contaminated water through two synergetic
mechanisms: Radiation in the spectrum of UV-A (wavelength 320-400nm) and
increased water temperature. If the water temperatures raises above 50°C, the
disinfection process is three times faster.

http://www.sodis.ch/Text2002/T-TheMethod.htm

http://www.sodis.ch/Text2002/T-TheMethod.htm

  • [Homestead] Simple Solar water distillation, bobf, 01/04/2009