homestead - Re: [Homestead] Shots

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Shots
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jan 2009 22:45:49 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:
I've thought about you so much today. I am really glad you decided to get the shots. I know that we of the list have been pretty critical of Western medicine of late, but in this case, I think you made the right choice. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone on the list who would have chosen not to take the shots, and what alternative you would have taken instead.

I'm not so much 'anti' the allopathic medical system as I am opposed to 1) using it instead of good sense and 2) using it from the get-go, as a first line of attack when there are several treatment modalities (with successful histories much older than allopathy) which are far less invasive/damaging and often get better results. Furthermore, most of those older systems take into account the whole human (or animal, in some cases) organism as opposed to say, treating high blood pressure and swelling in the feet with medications without even a peek into what might be the issue causing those symptoms. To me, it's a no-brainer.

But of course, it also doesn't take a whole lot of quicks, as Wade used to say, to acknowledge the limits in a system. Something like a surgical emergency, or a possibly-rabid animal bite.....then we are indeed thankful for a safe and sure (at least hopefully it is safe and sure) resolution to our immediate problem. In the case of rabies vaccine, I've never known it to fail despite poor conditions, and you got in there on time, etc. It's just like so many other things: knowledge and common sense have to go hand in hand to get the best result.

So I'm glad you got the shots, Sage. I'm sorry you had to do it but glad you are able to have them available and got them. It is indeed too bad they are so expensive, but in any case you will have saved yourself and loved ones (and us!) from tons of angst.

SJ, up here in frozen-land (wind chill tonight to range from -34 to -39F)