homestead - Re: [Homestead] Freedom Rangers & Happy New Year

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Freedom Rangers & Happy New Year
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 21:32:31 -0500

Well, I'd never heard of Freedom Rangers, so I googled it and it appears
to be a meat bird(broiler) that was crossed with a dual breed, probably
a Cornish X with a RIR??? Twenty weeks...sounds like someone maybe
wanted meat birds, but then couldn't butcher them, as 20 weeks is right
at butcher time.(actually past it). But then again, there's only 7, not
the right numbers for meat birds. Most heavy breeds start will start
laying in the next month or so, so you will definitely have eggs by
Spring. I can't imagine why they would give away chickens???? Oh well,
their loss is your gain! Seven is a good number...lucky you! 2009 is
gonna be a good year for you, this is a good omen Lisa! I would be
curious as the the fate of the hatchery that these birds came from. I
see mention of these birds on the web, but not the hatchery.

Bev

Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:
A friend emailed about a post on the local freecycle board. For over
a year I thought I was subscribed to the local freecycle, but no.
Turns out I was subscribed to a similar site with similar name, also
for our area.

Long story short, the post was for free Freedom Ranger chickens 20
weeks old. I replied to the post thinking that surely I was #15 to
have replied, but she wrote back almost immediately to say she lived
in my town and it was first come, first serve. So I called and guess
what? We live not even 1.5 miles apart. She and her husband moved
into the small farm that had been for sale (drive by it on the way to
town) and the 'for sale' sign was taken down mysteriously six weeks
ago. We wondered if it was sold or taken off the market. Now we know.
She invited me inside, I got to look at this neat Craftsman-style
home on the inside after driving by it for 8+ years. Beautiful wood
trim.

The couple followed me back to my farm, the cage with the hens would
not fit in my van and they offered to transport. Husband had taken
the Jeep to meet a band mate in Roanoke. He has a gig in Williamsburg
for 1st Night.

Seven full grown Freedom Ranger hens are in the hen house stall of
the barn tonight. The rest of my family is not home, I'm the only one
here (other than our live-in individual) who knows that we'll begin a
New Year with poultry.

Whoo-hoo!

Happy, healthy New Year to all.

Change your homestead list member options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/erthnsky%40bellsouth.net