homestead - [Homestead] Freedom Rangers & Happy New Year

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Freedom Rangers & Happy New Year
  • Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 20:59:20 -0500

A friend emailed about a post on the local freecycle board. For over a year
I thought I was subscribed to the local freecycle, but no. Turns out I was
subscribed to a similar site with similar name, also for our area.

Long story short, the post was for free Freedom Ranger chickens 20 weeks
old. I replied to the post thinking that surely I was #15 to have replied,
but she wrote back almost immediately to say she lived in my town and it was
first come, first serve. So I called and guess what? We live not even 1.5
miles apart. She and her husband moved into the small farm that had been for
sale (drive by it on the way to town) and the 'for sale' sign was taken down
mysteriously six weeks ago. We wondered if it was sold or taken off the
market. Now we know. She invited me inside, I got to look at this neat
Craftsman-style home on the inside after driving by it for 8+ years.
Beautiful wood trim.

The couple followed me back to my farm, the cage with the hens would not fit
in my van and they offered to transport. Husband had taken the Jeep to meet
a band mate in Roanoke. He has a gig in Williamsburg for 1st Night.

Seven full grown Freedom Ranger hens are in the hen house stall of the barn
tonight. The rest of my family is not home, I'm the only one here (other
than our live-in individual) who knows that we'll begin a New Year with
poultry.

Whoo-hoo!

Happy, healthy New Year to all.

Lisa