homestead - [Homestead] The starting point,,,lab results

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] The starting point,,,lab results
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 13:30:01 -0500

I have the lab results: My cholesterol and triglycerides are high. Big
surprise there. :)
My results fit the American mold, nothing unusual about them, really,
except that I personally feel that the conclusions drawn about my health
from the results might be a bit different than Joe Six Pack who might
have the same numbers as me.
I'm giving my caveats first:
1. I had not fasted..bloodwork was taken 4.5 hours after a meal. This
should not affect HDL numbers but like Wendy noted, will affect
triglycerides and LDL, etc. PCP warned of high numbers, but I wanted to
do it that day so I would not have to make another trip on another
day. Also, these are 'holiday' numbers-I admit that I eat more fat
during the holidays than normally.
2. I was taking a round of oral prednisone after receiving 2 injections
of IV steroids in the ER 3 days prior to the blood draw. Steroids
increase triglyceride levels
3. Even though my thyroid hormones are now within normal limits, I have
historically had high triglyceride levels (even with 180 cholesterol
numbers)...super high levels in fact.(700+) This was my lowest ever
test result. I consider this part of my liver abnormalities. Strange
stuff.
4. I do not eat very much fried food, but I get a lot of dietary fat
from dairy-need to work on substitutions there..

Total cholesterol 251 This is a personal record(normally 180-205)
HDL 38 should be above 40
LDL 164 should be very low
Triglycerides 274 should be even low (my lowest result ever)

These numbers are "bad" according to standard medical thinking. I don't
have the full report (it's in the mail), but the RN told me that the doc
wrote on my chart that I was probably genetically predisposed to high
triglycerides and that he wanted to discuss statins with me. After
reading Wendy's post, I kind of freaked a bit, and called back and spoke
to him directly. He has agreed that I can try diet and exercise, and
have given me until the end of April to make a difference in the
numbers. At that time, if the numbers aren't good, we have to discuss
statins again. So basically I am off to the races on lowering my
cholesterol and triglycerides. We did not discuss the effect of statins
on my already stressed liver, I just told him that I really was trying
to get OFF the meds, and adding another one would be admitting defeat
that I couldn't do it. I just told him that since I was able to quit
smoking, I feel very empowered that I can do anything, and I wanted him
to give me a chance, and of course, he was all for that.
I honestly feel like I can do it. Once I start exercising daily again,
I can pull the HDL up into the 40's or better, I'm sure.
With a few dietary substitutions, like avocados for sour cream and mayo,
I should be able to pull the numbers into spec, or at least show enough
of a change to keep that statin discussion off in the distance. :)

Bev

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."