homestead - Re: [Homestead] The telegraph operator

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] The telegraph operator
  • Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2008 10:37:00 -0700

On Dec 29, 2008, at 9:52 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

In our own time examples [of obsolescence] abound. Think back on the promising career of key
puch operation. How long did that last in total? It wasn't fifteen years. I
myself worked long ago as a bench technician in electronics, a skill and body
of knowledge that is utterly and completely done away with in the era of
disposable electronics.

I have just left a pistol with a gunsmith. He said I might expect the work to be completed in two-to-three months. There is that much work ahead of me. So that is one, small, bench profession that continues. Yes, I think his current work load reflects the present paranoia.

We are passing out of a
brief era of life by credit score and "wealth" accumulated by leveraging and
margins. It’s over and it’s not coming back.

Your guess is as good as anyone's. I hope you are right because I think more people will be happy without the credit industry, and happy people are more law-abiding and simply more pleasant to be around. But, there is huge built-in resistance to such change. The wealthy--a much larger group than is generally acknowledged--will exert all their political power to maintain the present system, because their wealth is connected to it, often dependent upon it.