homestead - [Homestead] Assorted stuff

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: Homestead List <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Assorted stuff
  • Date: Fri, 26 Dec 2008 14:45:59 -0500

Ok, the pics are posted to Myspace in the Temp album
http://www.myspace.com/tervetuloa13

There are pics of one very tired kid, too. He is still asleep and has
been for the last 15+ hours. :/ It is nice to know he is in there
though. I'll take it!

Be sure and click on the individual pictures to see the detail.
First you will see pics of my knife, then pictures of an underground
knife shop in the Republic of Georgia (definitely old world feel-almost
middle ages kind of feel). There are no power tools in this shop, no
mass production-each knife is hand made. The bald guy is Georgi <sp> the
knifemaker, the young kid, his apprentice. I have a bazillion pictures,
but chose a few to show various things in the shop, the detail, etc.
Take note of the antlers on the wall, the metal working on the table,
the knives like mine stuck in the table, etc. My knife is 18" long,
very ornate, as you can hopefully see..the wooden sheath beautifully
carved as well. Believe it or not, this knife is actually more than
just a pretty face. It is made of the best steel, and is very sharp
even after almost 10 years of non-use. (I will never use something so
beautiful-the knife is displayed, not used)

Now, THAT's a KNIFE!

These types of skills do not exist solely outside of the US. My
neighbor, also named George, is also a knifemaker. His knives are
equally as beautiful, his shop a bit more low key-maybe I can get a
picture of his shop/forge/knives. It is a dying art/science, but it is
still there, at least for this generation.

Bev

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."