homestead - [Homestead] New Pyramid Solar Cooker

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] New Pyramid Solar Cooker
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 14:03:25 -0800 (PST)

I have a Sun Oven brand solar oven which works very well. I have read about
these pyramid design soalr cookers before, but have never seen one offered
for sale. There is also a solar still, water purifier Maybe , if a person has
the ingenuity, they could look at the photo and make theirm own ?

Anyway.....................

www.cleardomesolar.com

ClearDome SolaReflex Pyramid
Cooker/Pasteurizer
And introducing our new Octagon Parabolic cooker

After many attempts to re-invent and improve many of our and other solar
cooker designs the last few years (in hope of reducing the purchase price
while increasing heating efficiency and portability) we've finally discovered
a way to combine the best qualities of solar box and panel cookers into one
very simple, affordable and practical solar cooker. Our unusual triangular
design has recently evolved and expanded into a new type of solar still water
purifier, explained below.

This is an ideal solar cooking product for experienced and first time solar
chefs, camping, emergency use, and in developing countries where fuel is
scarce or too expensive. Use it at home to cook food in the most natural and
least polluting way, while saving on energy costs. It's Solar Pyramid Power
at it's best! You can even keep a pot of tea, coffee or soup hot all day
inside the Pyramid cooker without danger of burning or over cooking.

It is an entirely new type and shape for solar cooking and it's called the
ClearDome SolaReflex Pyramid Cooker/Pasteurizer. This new solar cooking
design has a familiar form that has withstood the test of time for thousands
of years in Egypt. We chose the best materials available to provide you many
years of constant, trouble free use.

It is a completely enclosed SolaReflex panel cooker that includes an external
adjustable SolaReflex front reflector that helps boost the amount of incoming
solar energy, while trapping heat inside the triangular shaped polycarbonate
container that is completely unbreakable.

Announcing the introduction of our best solar cooker ever!

Here's a photo of our new SolaReflex AA Octagon Parabolic cooker that's so
hot, fast, and easy to use, that it has just replaced the Pyramid cooker.
It's available to order now.

Click on the photo for more photos, details and to place your order.

We're now using safe and secure PayPal order links to place your order. For
more information on how to use and sign on to PayPal please click on the
links below. We also accept money orders through the mail.
Click to learn more about PayPal online ordering

This design can easily be scaled up to larger sizes for heating or cooking
much larger quantities of food or water. As we experiment with this very
practical, easy to build larger size, more info will be posted here with
further details. We have been testing a prototype giant 4' x 6' Pyramid
cooker, photo at right, that will heat 5 or more gallons of water or cook 6
large pots of food or bake a half dozen loaves of bread at one time. And
we've found that it can easily be adapted to dry food, or it can be used as a
lower temperature heat source for generating hot air, water, or for medical
uses. And we have been working on plans for a constructing a building size
Pyramid solar cooker/Pasteurizer. Also watch for a cardboad box cutout
version for students and first time solar cookers.

It's unique design allows most meals to be cooked with no more that one
adjustment to the moving sun for nearly unattended solar cooking. Typical
cooking times average between one to three hours, depending on the type and
amount of food to be cooked and amount of direct sunshine. No sun adjustment
is necessary if the meal is cooked in three hours. If you're looking for the
fastest solar cooking times and the hottest temperatures, take a look at our
popular 24" SolaReflex 900 Parabolic cooker on our Internet homepage:
www.cleardomesolar.com. You can also find a wide variety of other ingenious
money saving solar thermal products on our homepage that heat or cool your
home.

Two Pyramid Cooker sizes available

The two standard sizes of Pyramid cookers are no longer available because the
new Octagon Parabolic cooker will replace in by the end of August, 2007. .
Each of the two sizes can be ordered in a collapsible (available soon) (top
right photo) or more affordable non-collapsible version seen on the left with
a 2-quart baking pan and clear glass lid. Pans up to 11" round and 3" high
will fit into large cooker. The collapsible Pyramid configuration is only 1"
thick when opened and ready for transport as seen in the photo below.

You'll notice that the corners of the collapsible Pyramid in the top right
photo are slightly larger than the non-collapsible cooker on the left, and
that is because we've used a new type of durable outdoor hinge that will
withstand heat and hundreds of flexes without damage. Besides the unique
triangular shape form, this is another first for solar cooking products to
make them easier and less expensive to ship. Below the assembled cooker is a
removable plastic black heat absorber, where the pot sits. It's also visible
in the photo of the flat collapsed cooker, below, sitting on top.

No flimsy clear plastic bags are needed for trapping heat as with most panel
cookers, since the covered pot is completely enclosed inside the
triangle-shaped cooking container. Crystal clear heat resistant polycarbonate
plastic covers the front and sides of this unique solar cooker, and our 97.4%
reflective SolaReflex foil is laminated to the two back walls to re-direct
the incoming sun towards the black heat absorber below and the black pot of
food (provided by the solar chef). Both backsides and the front adjustable
SolaReflex reflectors nearly triple the amount of usable sunlight for
superior heat gain inside the cooker. Dry heat temperatures inside the closed
cooker will reach well over 200 peak degrees F in about 15-20 minutes in
midday sun, so little, if any preheating is necessary. Food is normally
considered cooked between 155-200 degrees F.

The Pyramid cooker is designed to cook all types of food and not burn or
overcook it, even if left on for longer than the normal cooking times. No
stirring is needed, and it will bake bread in about two hours and cookies in
1.5 hours using an open baking pan. Once food is placed inside a closed black
pot, the pot is placed inside the cooker, both should remain closed until
the food is done. Stick food thermometers can verify how well done the food
is, but we suggest a simple sun shadow reading to let you know when enough
time has elapsed. Once the solar cooking starts, you'll notice the shadow at
the back side of the cooker takes about 2.5 hours to move left to the other
side, and that's the average amount of midday full sun needed to fully cook
an average 1-3 quart meal of meat or vegetables.

Easy sun alignment and cook timing

One slight turn to the right re-aligns the Pyramid cooker for the next 2-3
hours of cooking, if needed. With only a few practice cooking sessions of
your favorite meals, you'll be able to easily determine how much sun time is
needed to cook to your liking. Making milk or unsafe lake or stream water
safe to drink (when not polluted with chemicals) is just as easy. The water
does not need to boil to become Pasteurized, only reach 140 degrees F for 30
minutes or 160 degrees for 30 seconds. To completely purify any polluted or
salt water, please read about our new Solar Still

Water Purifier below.

Please note: these Pasteurization heating temperatures and times have been
verified by numerous environmental and scientific groups. Up two three
quarts of liquid normally takes about two hours to kill all harmful microbes
that could make you sick, so on a bright sunny day, it's ok to set and forget
it until the shadow has moved to the left backside. For hazy or light
partially cloudy days, let the liquid heat for another hour or more. If
you're not sure, verify with a food thermometer.

Since the front clear side of the Pyramid cooker does not have a wall like
most box cookers, you can start heating an hour after the sun rises. The
front external reflector sits flat on the cooking surface in the early
morning or late afternoon, and is elevated in midday sun to maximize the
solar reflection to the cooking pot.

Besides being very lightweight, it's virtually windproof so you can cook on
most windy days, it's unbreakable, non-toxic at all temperatures, easy to set
up and use, To send product inventor Deris Jeannette your email questions
about the Pyramid cooker or our upcoming ClearDome Solar Still, click here or
call 619/990-7977: cleardomesolar AT sbcglobal.net

For chemically or biologically polluted water, or salt water purification
you'll need to distill the water because Pasteurization and most filters will
not normally make toxic water safe or tasty to drink. Watch for our upcoming
ClearDome Solar Still Water Purifier, (seen in photo below) now being
prototype tested. · Please click here for new Solar Still Water Purifier web
page.
Look carefully in the photo and you'll see the pure vaporized water forming
and dripping inside just like the natural rain cycle, but without impurities
like those found in earth's atmosphere. Only the sun's heat warms a specially
designed internal water heat absorber that quickly heats any temperature
water up to 110-140 degrees F. It's best not to boil water to obtain the
purest evaporated h20 because no chemical pollutants, toxins or harmful
microboes will vaporize at lower solar still working temperatures.

Solar distallation is by far the most reliable, least costly method of
99.999% purification of any liquid in remote sunny areas--especially in
developing nations where fuel is scarce or too expensive. No additional heat
or electrical energy is required, and even after the sun sets, distillation
continues at a slower pace into the night.

This unique Solar still design has taken over six years to perfect, and it
has many new and improved features not found in existing solar distillers--
such as a self-feeding foul water system that nearly eliminates any risk of
contaminating the pure evaporated water. The specially designed internal
fluid heat absorber area is slightly angled towards the sun, and not level to
the ground as with most other solar stills. This, combined with a triple
evaporative surface area increases the water evaporation by nearly 200% to
increase vaporization for faster and higher quantities of purified drinking
water. As a result, winter water distillation is possible with higher
efficiency--even on partly cloudy days.

Most expensive high energy consumption filtration water purifiers won't
remove toxic chemical contaminants such as drug or petrochemical seepage
that's been found in many domestic water systems in the US and around the
world. Solar distillers completely remove harmful toxins and and numerous
government and private testing labs around the world have confirmed that
through the years. A properly designed solar still is the most reliable way
to make any harmful liquid safe to drink.

We believe that it is more efficient than any other solar still, and as a
result has one of the smallest footprints, measuring only 2' wide x 4' long x
2' tall. It's made for shipping and portability because of it's light weight
at 17 pounds, and because we use the best break resistant and food safe
plastic for the enclosure. The same design can be scaled up to larger size
stills for increased pure water production, but to reduce shipping costs and
to preserve portability, the 2x4' size is more practical. Adding more stills
will increase the pure water output.

It doesn't matter how polluted the source water is, our unique self-feeding
ClearDome Solar Still makes pure and absolutely crystal clear water ready to
drink. It's never flat, tasteless water that conventional boiling distillers
make. We, and our many taste testers all agree that it's by far the best
testing, purest drinking water you'll ever enjoy. Every year, millions of
more people in developing nations die of water pollution/contamination
disease than a lack of food. Our lightweight, unbreakable, shipable stills
will help clean up dirty and dangerous water for them and improve the quality
of your drinking water at home to the highest level possible, even more pure
than bottled water. To learn more about the proven advantages of solar
distillation please do you our Tnternet search about "solar stills" for more
details and to read university, government and private research on solar
distillation. Many designs and ideas are shown, but we believe ours
is among the most practical and affordable.

©1999-2008, ClearDome Solar Thermal LLC · 3368 Governor Dr, 153-F, San Diego,
CA 92122 ·
http://home.att.net/~cleardomesolar/SolaReflexPyramidcooker.html

  • [Homestead] New Pyramid Solar Cooker, bobf, 12/25/2008