homestead - Re: [Homestead] Karst water

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: roxann <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Karst water
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 16:36:29 -0700

On Dec 24, 2008, at 9:50 AM, roxann wrote:

Gene,

I think sandstone is also what causes the pH to be low. My garden area is mostly sand with clay and needs huge amounts of amendments/ organic matter to grow anything very good. The driveway has areas of pure rinsed sand where the water runs over it during high creeks. Lots and lots of sand and lots and lots of clay. There is lime quarries around, but most of my rocks are shale, sand, and whatever those flat paving stones are made of. There are also lots of coral fossils lying around, if that means anything.

Yeah, your dirt is some different than mine.

I have one chunk of what I believe is coral, stained red from clay. I have been unable to positively identify it with photos on the Web.

Trust me, sand is better than rocks when it comes to gardening.