homestead - [Homestead] Karst water

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Karst water
  • Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 13:22:50 -0700

On Dec 23, 2008, at 1:04 PM, roxann wrote:

Gene, our water has zero minerals and is so soft and low in pH, it too has side effects if not remineralized before drinking as the sole source of water.

Roxanne, you may want to bottle and sell that water.

Seriously, what is the source? Many Ozarks' so-called springs are simply outlets for discrete rainfall collection depressions and have not run through karst.

You have access to water testing equipment. Check the pH of your rain and that of your house water. Perhaps there are other chemicals that would show a correlation or disconnection, and you will have a good idea of what you are getting. If you have multiple springs, check several.

And, yes, I know that certain minerals--selenium comes to mind--that exist in higher-than-usual proportions appear to create specific health benefits.

I have been using distilled water for about thirty-five years. I will be 73 years old in two weeks. I have no known negative organic health conditions.