homestead - Re: [Homestead] bev-chicks

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] bev-chicks
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:13:39 -0500

I can't think of a variety that
I did not like or have some affinity for.

I wasn't too fond of Speckled Sussex. They are pretty birds, and good layers, but even the hens were aggressive. The hens charged me and pecked me, and the roosters tried to spur me; got me a couple times...they'd jusy fly at me from out of nowhere. They made my daughter very afraid of chickens (she still is, many years later). I like the fat, docile ones, like Buff Orppingtons.

The last batch I bought was a mixed heavy breed batch from McMurray. I've hatched a couple batches of eggs from them, so my chickens are a mish-mash now...a couple feather-footed, mostly sort of barred rocks, a couple of those scrawny white ones, and a couple pretty little hens that lay pink eggs.

Lynn Wigglesworth