homestead - [Homestead] Best water-tite , air-tite container

  • From: bobf <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Best water-tite , air-tite container
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 16:23:00 -0800 (PST)

I just read this letter from the new edition of Backwoods Home magazine. I
really don't know if the author is correct,; but it does make sense. It is
certainly not something I had considered as a multi-use container.

Best water and air tight container to store food

I read your every issue from cover to cover. In your Nov/Dec 2008 issue "Ask
Jackie" section she talks about storing food, but don't use ammo cans. Her
answer was so-so to OK. The BEST water and air tight container is a 1-gallon
paint can. These can be had at any bulk paint store; I buy them by the case
and store food, etc. in them. They have lids that are water and air tight,
and have a handle on each can; plus with a marker pen you can identify what's
in each can. They can be opened and resealed many times; the lids are metal
also. They don't break like glass jars.

Major E. A. Kelly (USAF, Ret.)
Twin Falls, Idaho

http://www.backwoodshome.com/current_issue.html