homestead - Re: [Homestead] Musing at the final turn

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Musing at the final turn
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 09:44:41 -0700

On Dec 20, 2008, at 1:47 AM, EarthNSky wrote:

First, Gene, this "final turn" stuff sounds like you are on your
deathbed!! :)

You are seeing through glasses clouded by sickliness. Have a beer.

When I was perusing the archives a few weeks ago, I noticed that you had
made another post several years ago, talking about your last year in
Phoenix, but alas, that was at the beginning of the housing industry
crisis. I see that that has taken you off your intended timetable,
putting you several years behind. Or does this work better for you?

The timing is actually due to Chris. She has finally reached a place in her head where she is fully ready to leave the city and embrace my version of the homestead life at Heartwood. She is ten years, seven months and one day younger than me. We are finally on the same page.

It seems to me that the keys to a happy life are finding one's path,
being true to oneself, developing a general and flexible plan, then
finding and fitting the pieces that will contribute to the plan. Then
sustained focus and persistence, the tried and true paradigm for
success.

I think that might be the smartest and most universally true thing you
have ever written here.

Don't carve it in stone. Wait a decade or two and we will revisit.

Media distraction has been a contributing factor to my slow journey to

the permanent homestead. Too many interests, too many side journeys.
Too easily diverted from the main path.

Please explain more.
Also Gene, I know you are in your seventies.. was there a time in your
life when you did homestead full time, year around?

Yes. There have been two periods when I homesteaded full time.