homestead - Re: [Homestead] dog and cough drops.

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] dog and cough drops.
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 15:08:21 -0800

I meant to respond to this earlier. If your cough drops are sugarfree, then you might have problems. I noticed that you said you drink diet soda, so maybe you buy the sugarfree cough drops also? At anyrate, sugar substitutes can be deadly for dogs. Too much menthol isn't too good either but the one or two a day, IF they aren't sugarfree, shouldn't be a problem. The toxic dose in rats is quite high (3,000mg) and your cough drops should have about 5mg. Oh, and also, you need to check and be sure they don't have any of the "cain"s in them (benzocaine, etc.).

However, that said, you might want to consider buying your furbaby some of his/her own cough drops like just plain old cherry. <g>

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bob ford" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

my dumb*ss dog loves these iced blue menthol cough drops. I only let her one or two per day. Any potential problems? Nothing on the package says not to give them to a dog.....................