homestead - Re: [Homestead] gold is money

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] gold is money
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2008 15:48:37 -0800 (PST)

It seems that there were changes to the law in 1977 which were upheld which
later legalized gold contracts as enforceable.  Therefore gold can be used as
a currency.

http://the-moneychanger.com/articles_files/mmm_files/gold_files/enemy_in_mirrow.phtml

"USING GOLD AS MONEY IS NOT FORBIDDEN
"Effective October 27, 1977 (twenty-five years ago) gold clauses once again
became enforceable in US courts.  On June 5, 1933 House Joint Resolution No.
192 was passed, which declared that it was against public policy to discharge
debts by paying gold.  That is, HJR 192 effectively made “gold clauses”
(contractual agreements specifying payment in gold) unenforceable in court.
They were not “forbidden” in the sense that you could go to jail for
contracting in gold, you just could not avail yourself of the courts to
enforce a gold clause in case of default.

"The so-called “legalisation of gold” at the end of 1974 actually repealed
the provisions of the Gold Reserve Act of 1934 that forbade private ownership
of gold.  However, gold clause contracts were still in legal limbo, so the
law “legalising” gold clause contracts was passed in 1977, and is codified at
Title 31, United States Code, Sections 5118(a)(1) and (d)(2).  The
enforceability of these new gold clauses was tested and upheld in Fay Corp.
v. Frederick & Nelson Seattle, Inc., 896 F2d 1227 (9th Cir.). "

------------------

Gold is money, and so is just about anything else.... LOL.

I agree with you that because of the limited supply of gold and the world's
creation of an incredible amount of fiat paper currency, that coming up with
a new asset backed currency, any kind of asset - becomes a challenge, but not
impossible.  (Actually there are rumors nos about a one-world, some type of
asset backed currency, being discussed by the G-20.)

Since the 70s USD are "petro-dollars" as the world up until recently had to
convert to USD to buy oil on the NY or UK exchanges.  Now added to the mix
are Euro-Dollars as some countries are no longer accepting US Dollars in
payment for oil.

And I agree with your other posts that gold, if looked at as just a piece of
metal, is good for sinkers, filings in teeth, jewelry, and not a whole lot
more...

However, throughout history people have used some type of a medium of
exchange in addition to barter.  Some of those mediums of exchange have been
pretty wild, others somewhat logical.   There is always some mechanism in
place to determine the value of the medium of exchange, regardless of what
medium is being used - people exchanging goods/services set the value in one
form or another.

Currently we are using fancy pieces of colored paper throughout the world as
a medium of exchange.  The value of the various pieces of paper - one brand
of currency relative to another brand of currency is determined in the market
place.  Some value the pound worth more than the dollar, or the dollar worth
more than the yen, etc.

When you live in one country and use that country's medium of exchange to
purchase eggs, the person in the next country using their own medium of
exchange to purchase the same quanity of eggs will be the pretty much the
same - not currency terms, but in the amount of labor hours that need to be
worked to obtain the medium of exchange to obtain same qty of eggs.

Gold (and to a much lesser degree silver) were chosen a long time ago for a
number of reasons, including divisibility and portability, and limited
supply.  It also crosses borders easily.  Gold is gold is gold no matter what
country you are in.

One of the current problems facing us today, is that "eggs" are purchased
across borders.  So one currency needs to be exchanged for another when
buying across borders.  The prices of the currencies fluctuate constantly
based on perceptions of who knows all what.... the stability of the
government, the ability of the government to repay debts, interest rates on
government bonds, the lack of dilution of the amount of paper in circulation,
etc.

I believe in one of your emails you posted that say one ounce of gold today
would buy X, and that no matter what is happening with the value of currency
it would still only buy the same quantity of X or less of X.  It also could
buy more of X in the future.  True, and key to a decision of whether or not
to buy gold is whether you think gold (coverted to a paper currency or via
direct exchange) will buy more or something in the future.

The value is still set by buyers and sellers and fluctuates,  based on their
perception of the future value of paper currencies.

The only reason to purchase or sell gold as a currency - as a store of value
-  is when a person believes the paper currency is going to fall or rise in
value relative to the current and future perception of the value of gold.

The current problem, as I see it, is at the international level of fiat
currencies. All fiat currencies are being diluted in value as the governments
around the world keep adding more currency into circulation.  They are all
falling in purchasing power.  The trick is how fast each loses purchasingn
power relative to each other.

Since we import a significant number of things we buy from other currencies,
the various currency fluctuations affect our daily purchases.  Should the
dollar begin to slide against the currencies of the countries from which we
import - the number of paper dollars we need to shop at Walmart increases and
the foreign country will demand more dollars in exchange for their currency.

If one perceives that the dollar is going to be worth significantly less, not
a store of value, one would be very smart to trade in those dollars for
ANYTHING that will store value.  Which of course includes, honey, shovels,
sugar, seeds, fencing, land, tires, oil, diesel, nat gas, etc.

It can also include gold or silver.  Gold or silver can be converted easily
into other paper currencies.  And it can also be used in enforceable
contracts to purchase here in this country (unless the 1977 law has since
been repealed).

When people fear hyper-inflation, a rapid loss of value in paper currencies,
they run to anything else that stores value, not just gold.  It could be
every day goods a years worth of food, garden supplies, seed, fuel, clothes,
shoes, anything used day to day or that can be bartered.

Others with greater wealth will buy other things, other currencies,
gold/silver, land, anything they think will preserve their wealth.

There is one caveat to the past performace of gold since the early 80s, and
that is the government's incessant artificial manipulation downward of gold
prices thru short sales via direct market intervention.  That "game" might
actually become "game over" soon if the COMEX gold banks are emptied out at
the rate so far this month -  40% gone the first week this month.

BobF posted a link yesterday about Backwardation in the gold futures
contracts.  This IS significant.  The wealthy are taking physical delivery of
gold.  They no longer have CONfidence that the COMEX has enough gold in the
gold bank vaults to back up the futures contracts.  If they did, they would
just leave the gold in the COMEX vaults - a nice safe place.  They no longer
perceive the COMEX to be a safe place.  The rich are looking for something to
store value.    Why?    I believe they fear the USDollar is going to not only
tank (a given with all the money printing), but that hyper-inflation can no
longer be ruled out.

Which brings us back to the point you actually made.  1 ounce of gold today
will buy (let's say 20 barrels of oil) or USD $760.   Say the dollar starts
to devalue in 2010, and that same barrel of oil in 2010 costs in USD
$1760.... it would still only cost 1 ounce of gold (more or less).

Another point you made is that, "When people had to "liquidate" a debt or
asset, it was most often done in molasses or rum or whiskey which could be
stored for a long time and kept its value."  The key here is "something that
could be stored for a long time and kept its value".

Personally, I find a LOT of value in things like canning jars, non-electric
kitchen tools, knives, etc.  But I can not use my canning jars to purchase
say a new pair of pants at Walmart.  I need an acceptable medium of
exchange.... a USD $.  But if today's pair of pants are made in China and
cost $7.60,,, in a falling dollar world, that same pair of pants could be
$17.60

(I'm just making up numbers btw.)

You can't eat gold, or wear it, or make it into anything useful (too
soft),,,, but you can convert it by using it as a medium of exchange into
something you can eat or wear or make, or desire.

Gold buyers and sellers ultimately decide the value, based on their
perceptions of the future value of fiat currency.  From the article posted
yesterday, the perception seems that a whole lot of people not just in the
US, but around the world are concerned about fiat paper dollars.

In the end, no matter what is used as a medium of exchange, it represents to
a certain degree the amount of labor and skill required to produce something
that another person wants.  They dicker back and forth about the value ---
the same as gold prices rising up and down.

<<<It is currently illegal to use gold as currency. When the 1933 exectutive
order prohibiting the private ownership of gold was partially lifted in the
1970's, only the provision for hold gold was removed. The prohibition
againstusing gold as currency still stands.>>>

<<<The current economy cannot return to a gold standard for the simple reason
that there is not enough gold in existence to back up the outstanding
currency.>>>

<<<If you took all the extant gold and divided that into the countless
trillions
of existing fiat currency, that would mean anyone with a high school class
ring would be a multi-millionaire.>>>

<<<<Trying to figure out what we are going to use as money is a lot like
trying
to decide by what means we are going to power our cars ..... maybe the answer
is 'nothing'.>>>