homestead - Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 53, Issue 86

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Homestead Digest, Vol 53, Issue 86
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 13:26:02 -0800 (PST)

Susan Jane in Maine:  Fantastic, people with opinions and ideas, and good
ones to boot !  You have NO idea how refreshing this is for em.  I've been
wondering about goats, and wondering if they would eat all the dang weeds
around here.  Some of them have nasty thorns as they get bigger,,,, but the
other desert person would know that one better possibly.  You wouldn't happen
to have a recipe for norwegian/swedish style goat cheese???

Bob
When I was a kid in northern 'burbs of Chicagoland, the neighbor used to grow
a phenomenal amount of food in his backyard.  Some of those were raised beds
too.

Bob,
One year I got a bunch of seeds from one supplier, and not one darn seed
germinated.  Which is too bad.  The same thing happened with another
individual selling seeds to an herb I like that is hard to get.  100 seeds,
directions followed perfectly, not one seed germinated.  Very disappointing.
Even though I've grown them from seeds before from my own plant...(my ex got
the plant....)

Lynn:
I did the same thing on an application, but the interviewer picked up on the
dumbing down part quick.  I did get the low paying job though (they were
desperate) although I didn't stay as I knew I was moving out west somewhere
(and of cousre they knew I wouldn't stay - they don't care about that).  It
was great living close enough to walk & bike to work though.  There
apparently is a constant turnover of people here in NM.  People work for a
bit, and then quit and collect unemployment.  How they get away with that is
beyond me.  So there's always openings at the grocery, walmart etc.

Occassionally I turn on the TV and I have noticed this year more and more
stories about working people and kids becoming homeless.  Same with retirees
who have owned their homes for years.  They couldn't keep up w/rising costs.
One guy out here rides back and forth to town (a long way) in a mule pulled
wagon.  (And the local DMV made him get a vehicle license plate,,,, geesshh !
jerks !)    Also saw a story from SE US where a guy turned off his tractors
and started plowing with either horses or mules.  (Bet he's back to the
tractor now that fuel is lower).

ANYONE:  I'll take any information available on working over the internet....

Lynn, couldn't agree more on government being a separate monster....