homestead - [Homestead] Warning - dog frozen to sidewalk

  • From: bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Warning - dog frozen to sidewalk
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 06:18:23 -0800 (PST)

For all of you people who live in real winter, pleasewatch your poor dogs.
yesyetday about dalight, my poor dog awakened, stertched wnt to the door to
go pee; when I opened the door she turned arouind to go back to the living
room, with a look like "scr*ew this, I'll hold it or pee inside"; and it was
only in the fifties, here.......................

Dog frozen to sidewalk; fat helped it survive
Posted 31m ago

Shelter workers poured warm water over Jiffy's back end to unstick him from
the sidewalk, a shelter manager said, and it was too soon to say whether he
suffered any long-term effects.

SHEBOYGAN, Wis. (AP) — A dog weighing more than 120 pounds survived being
frozen to a sidewalk overnight, probably because he was insulated by layers
of fat, authorities said.

The Sheboygan County Humane Society says the "morbidly obese" dog, an aging
border collie mix named Jiffy, froze to the sidewalk when he was left out
overnight Wednesday. Shelter manager Carey Payne told The Sheboygan Press
that few dogs could survive the single-digit temperatures, and it was
probably the fat that made the difference.

Jiffy's 59-year-old owner was arrested Thursday morning on suspicion of
animal neglect, Sheboygan Police Lt. Tim Eirich said. She told police she
tried to get the dog inside but couldn't, and instead checked on him every
few hours.

The dog is 11 or 12 years old, Eirich said. Shelter workers poured warm water
over Jiffy's back end to unstick him from the sidewalk, Payne said, and it
was too soon to say whether he suffered any long-term effects.

  • [Homestead] Warning - dog frozen to sidewalk, bob ford, 12/06/2008