homestead - Re: [Homestead] You think they won't tax yourhomestead...............

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] You think they won't tax yourhomestead...............
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:53:01 -0500

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 9:26 AM, bob ford <bobford79 AT yahoo.com> wrote:

> When you have nine or so (you've told me how you get the steer calves from
> dairy farms), do they all become ready for butchering about the same time.
> Do you sell them through a 'sale pen' (livestock auction) , OR, do you sale
> them live and have them delivered live to the butcher, you gives the meat to
> the customer? I'm conffused about the logistics

I don't know what Lynn does--isn't she more dairy than beef?

We raised two or three at a time, sold live, slaughtered on-farm, delivered
to butcher. We picked up all, wrapped and frozen from butcher and delivered
it to the various owners. Hoop jumping required by regs, which vary by
state. Raising two or three not much harder than raising one, and the
income from the sale of extra covers, at least, any costs involved with
raising and provided our beef free, apart from labor.

Cathy