homestead - Re: [Homestead] You think they won't tax yourhomestead...............

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] You think they won't tax yourhomestead...............
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2008 09:21:42 -0500

Okay, so a typical homestead (with cattle) might have a milk cow, and have one steer to butcher later for meat? If you have nine, then you would be a small commercial farmer?

Yeah; I file a Schedule F, although I never make very much farming.

ranchers out here have alot of cattle, but they let them wander over many thousands of acres. We have a "range law".. Ranchers are not required to fence their cattle. You need to fence off your propwerty if you don't want the cattle to graze your land. Of course, it doesn't affect those of us in metro >areas.............................

Here we are required to keep our animals on our own property. If my cows damage my neighbors property, or cause a car accident, I can get sued (I have farm insurance covering that). Last year I spent $25,000 to have my whole property fenced...it was either do that or get out of farming....I'm still not sure I made the right choice. But I do like my animals, and pasture-raised beef. I had a Delmonico steak to die for last night....

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA