homestead - Re: [Homestead] Geography was: Tell me again why Republicans are good for peo...

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Geography was: Tell me again why Republicans are good for peo...
  • Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 09:14:23 -0600

My best friend lives in KY, and for over a decade we have been having a fun debate about this. She contends I live in the west and she in the south. I say she lives in the north (just to play devil's advocate) and I live in the south. We are constantly sharing various maps, songs, articles, etc of proof, so you've given me more fodder, he he.

I just recently found out I have Cherokee ancstors. How would you describe the Cherokee influence on southern speech? I have not heard about this influence before.

On Thu, 4 Dec 2008 10:00:35 EST
Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

> I'd be curious to know where all of you think Texas falls

Southern.

Texas was colonized largely by Tennessee. Before Sam Houston was President of Texas and Governor of Texas he was Governor of Tennessee.
Our pattern of speech in Appalachia is from the Cherokee influence. Texas speech is closely related to Tennessee speech. Sam Houston spent a great deal of time among the Cherokee and his wife was Cherokee.

There are other influences in Texas to be sure, but the backbone of the culture is Southern.

Deo Vindice

James