homestead - [Homestead] The power of a voice - Odetta

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] The power of a voice - Odetta
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 07:04:20 -0700

In a world where the word unique is misused and overused, Odetta was unique. She seemed to deeply feel her music and when I watched and listened to her I was entranced. I especially enjoyed her singing a cappella.

Odetta arrived in San Francisco a few years before I got there. I became friends in college with a guy who played classical guitar and he introduced me to folk song. We took our girlfriends to the Hungry i, the legendary City club that showcased an unending stream of performers of note, from The Kingston Trio to and including the introduction of Barbra Streisand, and it was there in that little basement room that I felt the power of Odetta's voice and presence.

I still hear her voice when I occasionally sing "There's a hole in the bucket . . . ," a circular song that illustrates how we pathetic men need women for direction.

Odetta has died, but thanks to technology her music will last long after we who remember her have also died.