homestead - Re: [Homestead] Light pollution

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Light pollution
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 23:08:22 -0800

Speaking of stars, this time of year we usually don't have crystal clear skies. So we usually miss the moon, Mars and Venus line-up. They sure are a pretty picture in the sky right now, the pretty crescent moon with the two plants following behind, in a line, like good little children <g>

Lynda, where we have only two street lights and they are VERY dim and 11 miles away!

http://www.boston.com/news/local/maine/articles/2008/11/28/residents_of_maine_town_want_to_keep_stars_in_their_eyes/

For those of you with any pull whatsoever, any voice in your local
government, I beg you to follow Maine's lead and eradicate light
pollution. Way to go Bar Harbor!
There are whole generations of people who have never seen the Milky Way
as depicted in the photo on that link. Living rurally gives me an
advantage, a pleasure, that most never see. Of course, from a practical
point of view, navigation is a lot easier if you can see the stars.

Bev in GA, where Saxby is winning--last commercial update was 70% to 30%
hate. Hate leads to suffering.” Yoda