homestead - Re: [Homestead] grain mills

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] grain mills
  • Date: Tue, 2 Dec 2008 09:53:41 EST

> > Get the ones with stones as the the burrs don't last too long.

If the burrs don't last long, the mill is not propertly adjusted or is not
being used properly. I have a BlackHawk mill that has been in continuous use
for nearly 100 years with the original burrs and they are fine. Before I got
it
(from my grandfather) it was being run with an electric motor and not only
ground the kitchen corn meal but also chicken and hog feed at times. It has
the
hand crank now.

I also have one of those cheapie Corona mills with both metal burrs and
stones. The stones grind very fine flour, but the burrs (flat on the Corona,
conical on the Blackhawk) have been used for cornmeal and masa and malt for
30
years and are indistinguishable from new ones.

Properly adjusted burrs, like properly dressed mill stones and quern stones,
shear off little flakes of corn and the burrs never touch one another.

James