homestead - Re: [Homestead] A bigger worry than privacy

  • From: Cathy <goosecreekfarm AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] A bigger worry than privacy
  • Date: Mon, 1 Dec 2008 11:56:14 -0500

I think the Act makes using the troops for law enforcement a crime without
authorization of Congress. The line has long since been crossed of using
troops for other reasons, like 'terrorist deterrence' at the Olympics. These
20,000 are supposedly going to be available for assistance in times of
natural disaster and other similar things.

"From and after the passage of this act it shall not be lawful to employ any
part of the Army of the United States, as a posse comitatus, or otherwise,
for the purpose of executing the laws, except in such cases and under such
circumstances as such employment of said force may be expressly authorized
by the Constitution or by act of Congress; "

I'm thinking that such an act of Congress is not unimaginable, based on the
kind of things Congress has been up to lately.

On the other hand, I'll still need to plant potatoes <g>

Cathy