homestead - Re: [Homestead] Take Back the Land

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Take Back the Land
  • Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 16:38:31 -0500

I'm a firm believer in private property, so I don't approve of 'taking over' homes. On the other hand, it would be great if banks who own all these homes could arrange for people to live there if they keep the property maintained.

People squatted in vacant houses in my neighborhood in Philly. The kind of people who squatted in those days did a lot of damage...sold anything that could be sold (ripped the copper pipes out of the walls), and destroyed the rest. I suspect there is a higher class of homeless these days, but having them squat in any property I (as a bank) owned would make me uneasy.

Lynn Wigglesworth