homestead - Re: [Homestead] Careful who you take advice from. Give up the dream? My dilemma

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Careful who you take advice from. Give up the dream? My dilemma
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:33:09 EST

> >If marital history was a strong criterion for advice credibility I
> should never utter another word.

I'd imagine he meant advice on choosing spouses.

When we were newly married, BIL (exactly my age) phoned and told me he'd tell
me all about getting along with a woman in the house.

Oh? I asked. Why would I be taking advice about that from you, BIL, since
you are on your 4th marriage?

Another time, way before that, a divorcee (with children) was telling me that
her fiancee, a divorcee (with children) knew a great deal more about family
matters than I, who had never been married and had no children, did due to
their experience. True, I admitted, I've never had the experience of
screwing
up a family.

Which gives you more insight into how to use power tools safely: having been
cautious and never having had an accident or cutting your finger off? Lesson
learned either way.

I'm remided of my favorite FarSide cartoon where the fellow is holding up a
leprauchan by the back of his coat. The wee man has an eye patch, peg leg,
hook instead of a hand. He says, "Alright, laddie, you've caught me fair and
square. But I ought ot warn you that I've never been considered all that
lucky."

James

  • Re: [Homestead] Careful who you take advice from. Give up the dream? My dilemma, Clansgian, 11/23/2008